海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: 【小说连载】When Pigs Fly (1. Central Park) 喜欢就说声好, 没有三个以上跟贴我就不搬了.
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 【小说连载】When Pigs Fly (1. Central Park) 喜欢就说声好, 没有三个以上跟贴我就不搬了.   
欢迎拍砖
[博客]
[个人文集]

游客

文章标题: 【小说连载】When Pigs Fly (1. Central Park) 喜欢就说声好, 没有三个以上跟贴我就不搬了. (940 reads)      时间: 2004-6-05 周六, 02:11      

作者:游客海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

When Pigs Fly
By William Liu

1. Central Park

I swore long ago I would write about him.

However, life between then and now has been such a busy business. As with all my other promises, this pledge went benignly into a lengthy "to do" list. Then came my divorce. My ex-wife took the list along with my investment portfolios on wagon-making business and Iraqi oil prospect--she was a very meticulous person.

Now here I am, divorced, recently downsized, and don't exactly know what to do next. But I am not in a hurry to fulfill my early promises. I remember when I was 14 or 15, I promised myself to win a Nobel Prize. Should I try to fulfill this one, now that I don't even have a $30-a-year membership in American Physical Society?

Life has its own pace and rhythm, and if you don't think about it, reason. I chugged along. New York City was a big place for me to explore. Since I threw up my textbooks on superstrings and joined the 100-year old investment bank Merry Stench on Wall street, I had been swimming fitfully in the ocean of derivatives--never mind I had mastered the art of calculus almost 20 years ago. The New York City I knew was largely the concatenation of subway station names on my commute to and from Manhattan. The highlight of my cultural experience was those hurried lunches at Chinatown. I didn't even have time to go to the 42nd street for more than a handful of times -- a couple of those times were for the business of renewing my passport in the Chinese consulate.

So there was no shame in unemployment--I urged myself on. But New York to an unemployed person was suffocatingly oppressive. Had I been a Boyz in the 'Hood, I might be better able to deal with, even enjoy the leisurely lifestyle. But, all my life, I had been under this tremendous burden called ambition. It took sometime to get used to the freedom of being free.

Slowly, New York starts to unveil her charm. I finally went to Broadway to watch a live musical, rubbed my elbows with the raucous crowd at the Late Show, and had my photos taken with Mujibar and Saraju at Rock America.

I discovered Central Park and convinced myself that those pigeons were not temporarily put together by movie directors to give those cheesy emotional melodrama an autumnal backdrop of flight and soaring stupidity. I even kept a log of the traffic of noontime joggers. Not that I think NY metro transit authority would be interested in such information, but the scene of a middle-aged fat man having his sweaty hand around the buttock of his minimally dressed female colleague was just irresistible--it reminded me of my wife and her boss. Oh, #### it!

One sunny early afternoon, having dispensed all my bread to the pigeons, I sat on a bench and struck a conversation with a man of roughly my age and presumably the same situation--a young man in his 30's sitting in Central Park at 2:30 pm was either stinkingly rich or unemployed. He was latter. Interestingly, he, too, went for a Ph.D. program in theoretical physics but withdrew after two years -- his mind was just not in it anymore after finding out that superstring theory, standard model, and chaos were just some bad poetry. So he wandered for a time--rock bands, night clubs, and Las Vegas. Now he had settled down, living with his aged aunt in Brooklyn, and dedicated himself to writing a novel based on his best friend who died of AIDS several years ago.

That evening, having stood motionless by the Hudson River for I-knew-not-how-long, I went back to my aprtment with early morning dews and a commitment to myself and all those dear and close to me: Writing about my friend who died of Culture Shock in this country.

作者:游客海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
【小说连载】大洋烟云 (29 ) 四喜临门? (美图) 海归酒吧 2007-4-06 周五, 02:09
【小说连载】大洋烟云 (29 ) 四喜临门? 海归论坛 2007-4-03 周二, 02:30
【小说连载】大洋烟云 (29 ) 四喜临门? 海归风情 2007-4-02 周一, 14:52
【评论转载】我为什么要吐槽莫言获奖----九歌叹云中君 海归茶馆 2012-11-15 周四, 05:38
麻豆豆离职记【原创连载】 海天文学 2011-7-18 周一, 17:58
【小说转载】玩什么别玩暧昧(200~212)-一位七十后JP的十年狗血人生 海归酒吧 2010-2-12 周五, 14:21
【小说转载】玩什么别玩暧昧(181~200)-一位七十后JP的十年狗血人生 海归酒吧 2010-2-12 周五, 14:04
【小说转载】玩什么别玩暧昧(161~180)-一位七十后JP的十年狗血人生 海归酒吧 2010-2-12 周五, 13:55

返回顶端
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.