海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: [分享]a great interview of the U.S. Ambassador to China
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 [分享]a great interview of the U.S. Ambassador to China   
fatboyslim

头衔: 海归中校

头衔: 海归中校
声望: 学员

加入时间: 2005/11/22
文章: 556

海归分: 43284

文章标题: [分享]a great interview of the U.S. Ambassador to China (2339 reads)      时间: 2011-1-08 周六, 14:06

作者:fatboyslim海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

this guy knows China pretty well

https://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_03/b4211012009519.htm

Charlie Rose Talks to Jon Huntsman
The U.S. Ambassador to China—and long-shot Republican contender for President—talks about how and why decisions are made in Beijing
By Charlie Rose

You're a man often mentioned as having a very bright political future. So President Obama comes to you and says: "I want you to be my ambassador to China." Why? And why did you say yes?
I like to think he did it because he cares about the relationship in the sense that bipartisan management matters. In 31 years of our diplomatic relationship, it hasn't given away to political extremes. It's been managed in a bipartisan fashion. And I accepted it because the President asked. If you can make a unique contribution, hardship though it might be, you stand up and serve.
Talk about the fear that China is expanding its military.
Of course they're expanding. They have the money to expand. We welcome their rise, so long as it is in keeping with standard rules of the road.
Is it your sense that they want to become a sea power?
They're building big ships. And they're very sophisticated ships. Their hardware is getting quite good, very advanced and sophisticated. And they have, of course, regional interests.
What are those interests?
If you get right down to the core interests, it's preserving the Communist Party. And how do you preserve the party? By delivering economic growth that is 8, 9, 10 percent per year, which they've been able to do for 30 years. So I would argue that first and foremost, they want a stable region...an environment in which one can grow their economy. That's, I think, Job One.
Their dominant position in rare earth metals has become a flash point.
What will ameliorate this problem somewhat is the fact that many countries in the world are bringing online, in 2012, greater production of rare earth products. The U.S. has plenty of rare earth products. It's [a question of] economic cost and environmental cost. How badly do you want your own indigenous supply of these products? All we're asking for is that [China] not use rare earth products as a trade weapon. They had a tussle recently with Japan over a fishing vessel. It could be argued that in fact it was used as a trade weapon. [China cut off rare earth shipments to Japan for two months last year.]
Is there now a sense that China recognizes its economic heft?
I think there is clearly evidence that they've been empowered with their newfound economic strength—[they're] now the second-largest economy in the world. They are about one-third of our own in terms of GDP, $5 trillion vs. $15 trillion. What we don't sometimes focus enough on when we look at and analyze China is their domestic challenges. So yes, they're growing, there's no question about that. But they're also transitioning 800 million farmers into a world in which they only need 200 million farmers. So what do you do...? You boost the economy. You put $600 billion in stimulus spending into the economy.
And you do it instantly.
Instantly. No deliberation needed.
What do you see happening with the U.S.-China exchange rate?
They're beginning [to revalue] once again...and you see a very gradual appreciation, I mean painfully slow, and I'm guessing that they're doing it not just because the U.S. and Europe and others are saying it's important to us from a trading standpoint to have a currency that is properly valued. They're doing it because they see it's in their immediate interest. Inflation is on the horizon. They're trying to transition from the largest export power ever assembled in the history of the world to a consumer-based model. In order to do that you've got to have a properly valued currency. They've got to convince their citizens that now's the time to take renminbi out from under the mattress.
Will we be able to compete for this rise in consumer demand?
I think without question.
So it's a plus for the U.S.?
Without question.
When does China's political system finally evolve?
You'll have Xi Jinping rise to the top in 2012, and Li Keqiang will likely become the Premier. The stakes are enormously high. There'll be a level of ideological rigidity between now and the turnover...because you've got to wear the straitjacket in the runup to those leadership changes, and then you consolidate your power base, which may take you to 2013. Then you've got a few years in which you can actually engage in change and reform. I would say the years 2013 to 2015, 2016 are going to be pretty important from a reform standpoint.

作者:fatboyslim海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
[分享]A great website: 海归商务 2013-10-20 周日, 12:19
[分享]Urgent : (北京外资) Head of North Chi... IT 2011-2-24 周四, 10:43
[分享]外资公司招聘中国区China Legal Counsel 海归网公司招聘专栏 2009-7-28 周二, 16:04
[分享]外资公司招聘中国区China Legal Counsel 海归网公司招聘专栏 2009-7-08 周三, 10:53
[分享]Interview with Tony Hsieh 海归商务 2011-7-28 周四, 17:11
[分享]Well... This is a great example. 海归主坛 2009-5-25 周一, 15:37
[分享] On economics and politics -- int... 海归主坛 2008-10-31 周五, 10:56
[分享]Prem Watsa's Interview Today (10... 海归主坛 2008-10-03 周五, 04:52

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 fatboyslim离线  发送站内短信
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.