Our client is one famous USA company, many BU in global and China.
Position: Asia Technology Director , Returnee, Ph.D. in Polymer Science or a related technical discipline is required (Materials, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, etc.). An MBA would be a plus.
Location : Shanghai ,China
Responsible for the development and execution of technology roadmap and R&D efforts leading to new products utilizing the company’s established Winovation (New Product Development Stage Gate) Process. Key markets served are Industrial, Electronics and Life Sciences.
You are an experienced leader and mentor, who will lead R&D teams for the development and commercialization of new formulations for specialty polymer based products involving but not limited to Silicones, Urethanes, UV Curable Resins, TPE’s, Acrylate’s and Fluorinated Elastomers. Processing involved typically includes injection molding, compression molding, extrusion and/or dispended form-in-place serving a broad array of market applications for the Industrial, Electronics and Life Sciences markets. Provide technical guidance and fundamental understanding of material(s) and processing issues related to the above markets and applications materials based on indentified customer/market needs. Direct responsibility for managing the materials specialists and scientists to effectively commercialize new products from lab-bench to production scale-up (participate from cradle to grave). Leads the establishment of collaborative partnerships within Company, external institutions and suppliers/manufacturers. Continually benchmarks for developing best in class.
Scope/Supervision and Interaction:
This job has supervisory responsibilities for research and engineering staff from varying disciplines. Supervisory responsibility includes, but is not limited to, training and developing subordinates, delegating work assignments, writing and conducting performance appraisals, coaching and counseling employees, and administering disciplinary procedures. Provide technical support in the area of materials development including appropriate manufacturing processes to facilitate the introduction/commercialization of new products including the improvement of current products, Quality Control to assist in the resolution of manufacturing problems; Purchasing Department to assist in qualification of new vendors and in resolving technical problems with vendors. Maintain an aggressive risk avoidance program when designing new products and reduce inherent risks that are found to be associated with existing products. Prioritizes initiatives in alignment with Divisional staff.
Responsible for coaching, mentoring and developing all team members and includes but are not limited to leadership development, training and career development. This position will be based in Shanghai.
- Assists in the development and management of the execution of breakthrough strategies related to innovative product development and commercialization with a positive impact on profitable Division growth.
- Assumes responsibility for assisting in the creation of technology roadmaps that focus development and engineering resources on high potential/growth market opportunities.
- Provides a vision relative to technology, market trends, government regulation and customer needs as they relate to future new products. Assists Division in recommending capital investments and process improvement projects.
- Works with the Group and Division staff (Marketing, Sales and Business Units) to develop and maintain new product development portfolios that align with growth objectives.
- Assists in the development and implementation of "best practice" engineering and product development protocols within Division standards.
- Collaborates with Corporate’, Groups' and Divisions' business teams, suppliers and potential customers to develop a technology plan that is market driven which anticipates the needs of the market (customers) and provides Company with technically differentiated products to secure first mover advantage in selected growth markets.
- Provide hands on leadership for scientific and analytical approaches to product development.
- Provide team leadership to effectively manage, mentor, motivate and develop assigned resources.
- Provide highly effective project management to team-based product development efforts.
- Meets with and effectively communicates with customers to gain insights into product acceptance and understand unmet needs related to new technology differentiated products.
- Highly motivated, self-starting team player that is results oriented.
- Monitor and updates the Division staff on new and developing technologies for markets served.
- Benchmarks and identifies new product and market opportunities. Analyzes and selects new business opportunities in concert with manufacturing and marketing management. Formulates R&D goals and objectives.
- Determines and develops breakthrough product design, technologies, systems and processes that create solutions for customers’ unmet needs and divisional growth.
- Supervises and develops engineering staff to achieve established goals. Assists in the creation of technology road maps that focus engineering resources on high potential growth market
- Serves as the liaison expert of technology vision with the Division’s technical engineering, e.g., new products, development schedules, etc. Interfaces with all Division functions and serves as the main liaison for all technical related issues and objectives.
- Develops collaborative partnerships within Company, as well as external institutions and manufacturers, for development of technologically relevant systems solutions
- Provides expertise relative to technology, government regulations and customer needs as they relate to future-state products. Recommends capital investments and process improvement projects to Division.
- Assists in the development and management for the execution of breakthrough strategies related to innovative product development and profitable commercialization to drive profitable growth for the Division.
- Works with Groups and Divisions to develop and maintain new product development portfolios that align with Group and Division growth objectives. Liaison for knowledge-sharing and project collaboration with Division, Group and Corporate as appropriate.
- Ph.D. in Polymer Science or a related technical discipline is required (Materials, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, etc.). An MBA would be a plus.
- Possess high level understanding of the chemistry and processing of polymers as demonstrated by a track record of successful product development.
- Demonstrated success at leading and managing technical direct reports.
- Experience in developing and qualifying polymer based products for Life Sciences including familiarity with regulatory approval process (e.g. FDA, etc.). Experience with Electronics and/or the Industrial Market products would be a plus.
- Knowledge of engineering principles, polymer industry practices, technology and product development process and methods. Understanding of how to translate customer and market needs into products and services.
- Knowledge of business and operational processes will be a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple priorities using project management, problem solving and resolution skills in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to effectively and persuasively present information to internal Division/Group/Corporate management and external customers through the use of MS Office.