海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: 【别人的‘美食’博客】东部文明,还是西部? - The Baltimore Sun > Dining@Large
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 【别人的‘美食’博客】东部文明,还是西部? - The Baltimore Sun > Dining@Large   
The Fifth Season
[博客]

头衔: 海归中将

头衔: 海归中将
声望: 博导

加入时间: 2008/09/12
文章: 4241

海归分: 567427

文章标题: 【别人的‘美食’博客】东部文明,还是西部? - The Baltimore Sun > Dining@Large (2041 reads)      时间: 2009-7-24 周五, 13:18   

作者:The Fifth Season海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

The Baltimore Sun > Entertainment > Food & Dining > Dining@Large

Do sprouts belong in a salad?

Last night our dinner conversation quickly devolved into a discussion of whether sprouts were a low-class vegetable or a high-class vegetable.
---

If you dwell on them you realize they are a little like having a hair in your throat.

I know that alfalfa sprouts, which were the ones on our salad, are packed with nutrition:They are low in saturated fat, sodium, and cholesterol, and high in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, riboflavin, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, manganese, protein, vitamin A, thiamin, pantothenic acid, calcium and iron.

But they don't ---

Virtual postcard from Sardinia

My deskmate, Scott Calvert, has abandoned me this week because he got a cheap ticket to London. From there he went to Sardinia. (Back next week.)
---

Dog-friendly restaurants

I got this e-mail from Laura today:

I was wondering, have you ever done a Top Ten "Dog Friendly" restaurants? I know places like Iggies are dog friendly. Not sure how much the health dept likes that, so I'm not sure if it's something that should be advertised/promoted or not, but I'd love to know about any other restaurants in the area that allow dogs, even if it's simply outside seating. <

I was pretty sure about inside restaurants, but not so sure about the outdoor eating area, so I picked up the phone and called the Baltimore City Health Department. ...

I ended up talking to Bernard Bochenek, who is the director of environmental health. He confirmed what I suspected, that the only dogs allowed inside a restaurant are service animals, such as a seeing-eye dog. As for outside eating areas, "As long as they are controlled and not getting in the way of other customers or the food, they are allowed."

That still doesn't help Laura. If anyone has had good luck taking his or her dog out to lunch or dinner, please post below.

The photo is of Duke, who was banned from One-Eyed Mike's a couple of years ago. I found a story by Tricia Bishop in our archives about the issues raised. In it she reported:

While Parisians are known for taking their dogs everywhere - restaurants too - Baltimore is no Paris, and health professionals says there are some good reasons for prohibiting pets.

"There's always the issue of [fleas], feces, urine, shedding hair, that kind of thing and how would you control that," said Laura Hungerford, a professor of epidemiology and doctor of veterinary medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Prohibiting animals is done "not because pets carry disease, but just because it's gross."

Most animal prohibition laws were written years ago with rats and other disease carriers in mind, rather than family pets, which today are part of more than 60 percent of households. Hungerford said the risk of getting sick from an animal is minimal, much smaller than catching something from another human, and that the main reason for banning dogs and the like has to do with behavioral issues and physical safety concerns.

(Elizabeth Malby/Sun photographer)

Posted by Elizabeth Large at 4:24 PM | Permalink | Comments (46)

Lettuce shop

OK, maybe it's a little early for terrible puns. But I found some great head lettuces at the Martin Farm's truck at the Waverly Farmers Market this morning. Just from its looks, it makes you realize how much better very fresh, local lettuce is than what you get in the supermarket.

Of course, looks can be deceptive. Witness the local strawberries you all were complaining about last week.

The Clean Crab Award

Midnight Sun Sam is working on a story about the Baltimore City Health Department's proposed Clean Crab Award. I won't give you the details here, but the idea is sort of like California's restaurant grading system for cleanliness, only with crabs.

I personally think the crab part seems kind of gimmicky, but I like the idea of knowing instantly what places passed inspection. Anyway, read the story tomorrow for the full report. I'll just say that one of the questions you can comment on if you e-mail the health department before July 1 is whether the awards should be called Clean Crab or Informed Crab or "are there better alternative names?"

I really hate to sic you guys on those poor folks, but, well, go at it.

Meanwhile, Sam needs help. ...

Here's the e-mail I got from him:

I'm looking for foodies who would be able to comment on the Dept. of Health's new proposal to issue restaurants awards ba<x>sed on cleanliness and listing nutritional information for some of the items on their menus.

If you're interested in talking to him for the story, e-mail Sam at [email protected]. Tell him Elizabeth sent you.

Pierre, by the way, will not be chosen to comment.

Crab Week is coming! Crab Week is coming!

Are you as excited about Crab Week as I am? I know you are.

For those readers who don't know what I'm talking about (which means you haven't been checking in often enough), Crab Week starts this Sunday, June 1. There will be many thrilling events, but not to worry. If you don't like crabs, I will be posting other stuff too.

I'm going to list the events now, but I don't want you to discuss the topics specifically until Crab Week, except for suggestions for next Tuesday's Top Ten or for other crab-related entries you'd like to see included. I know it's hard, but please try not to jump the gun here.

Anyway, here's the lineup so far: ...

1) Our Top Ten Tuesday will be, no surprise, crab houses. Please start suggesting your favorite places to pick hard shells below.

2) A highlight, perhaps the highlight, of the week will be Amanda's video on West Coast crabs. I've seen it, and it's spectacular, although I have to give it an R rating for violence.

3) I haven't seen her other video yet, on making crab enchiladas; but I'm sure it will run a close second, although perhaps without the action of the first video.

4) We will approach the Dreaded Crab Cake Question once again, but this time we will eliminate all the usual suspects (G & M, Faidley's, Koco's Pub, etc.) and get people to tell us about unlikely spots to get great crab cakes.

5) Soft shell crabs: everything you want to know about them and what restaurants prepare them the best.

6) Maryland crab soup or cream of crab? Discuss. (Only not yet.)

7) We will talk about why crab imperial has gone out of favor on restaurant menus.

Cool We will discuss what warped mind came up with the concept of fried hard crabs.

9) People will let us know where we can get hard shells to take home and eat on our back porch, and discuss the merits and disadvantages of buying crabs out of the back of a truck.

10) We will have Film Critic Extaordinaire Michael Sragow's insightful review of the classic Attack of the Crab Monsters.

11) We'll talk about why crab houses steam their crabs differently from Eastern Shore watermen, and also why the experts pick crab differently from the way most of us do. That will lead to a discussion of the proper way to get the most out of your crab eating experience.

12) Perhaps Owl Meat can be prevailed upon to come up with a crab-related Mystery Product.

13) Not to mention an appropriate Shallow Thought by Multimedia Editor Etc. John.

14) And last but certainly not least, I will present Mr. Old Fart's T-shirt design in honor of Crab Week. I haven't gone so far as to have 100,000 of them made up to sell for $19.95 on this blog, but I'm thinking about it.

(Todd Holden/Special to the Sun)

Two-cuisine restaurants

A new restaurant called York Garden has opened where Pacific Rim used to be in Cockeysville. I bring this up not as a bit of restaurant news (for that, see tomorrow's Table Talk column in the Taste section), but to point out that it serves Indian and Mexican food.

No, it's not a fusion restaurant. You just have to say, Huh? And scratch your head.

It reminds me of Nasu Blanca in Locust Point, which serves Japanese and Spanish dishes. Again, not fusion. At least there the owner/chef does it simply because those are the two cuisines he likes best. I gathered with York Garden it was more of an economic decision.

If I can only come up with one more example, I'll have -- ta-da -- a trend. The two-cuisine restaurant trend.

(Photo of Nasu Blanca by Karl Merton Ferron/Sun photographer)

Why restaurants don't take reservations

I wasn't surprised that yesterday's Monday Morning Quarterbacking swerved off into a discussion of the merits of BYOB restaurants and whether a corkage fee is fair. I was surprised that there wasn't more conversation about restaurants that have a no reservations policy when Mr. Old Fart brought the subject up.

I don't think anyone can argue that from a customer's point of view, there is no advantage to a restaurant that has a no reservations policy. If I'm wrong, please correct me. But I don't even really get it from a restaurant's point of view. Wouldn't it help to know in advance how many people are going to be eating there on any given night and to space them out appropriately?

Maybe it's usually when a place is new and hot that it can afford to have a no reservations policy. Even Salt eventually decided to start taking reservations.

(Monica Lopossay/Sun photographer)

More on restaurant bathrooms

I know we've discussed it before, but there is definitely a trend happening here. Restaurant bathrooms are better or at least more interesting than they used to be. I know this because I never noticed restaurant bathrooms except the time the hot water handle came off in my hand in the Roy's ladies room a month after the place opened. ...

Now Meli has opened with a sink and mirror in common for the men's and ladies' rooms. What's the advantage of that, I wonder, beyond the coolness factor? Some savings in plumbing?

And then there's the Catonsville Gourmet's ladies room, pictured above. Besides the flowers and the two kinds of hand lotion and whatever comes out of that weird black thing on the wall to the left in the mirror (I would say soap, but the soap dispenser is on the sink), there are two chairs, barely peeking up at the bottom of the mirror, that seem to be upholstered in some sort of faux velvet or suede. In case you want to lounge around in the ladies room before you join your party again.

It's actually a very nice room, and I hope they don't mind my poking a little fun at it. It's more elegant than the restaurant decor itself.

Not the end of the bag story

My reusable shopping bag story appeared in the Arts & Life Today section today. It had a bit of a rocky road because ---

When I first purchased my bags many months ago, I frequently forgot to take them into the store with me but since the rebates started, I bring them in every time. I am not sure why ---

The mysterious airline chicken breast

Next Sunday's review

You may have a preconceived notion of what a patisserie and bistro named "honey" would be like. I know I did.

Meli, which means "honey" in Greek, is the Kali's Restaurant Group's third place. It's nothing like I imagined it. For one thing, it's much more of a restaurant and night spot than I expected. I'll be writing about our meal there next Sunday in the Arts & Life Today section. We can talk about it Monday.

https://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/dining/reviews/blog/2008/05/

作者:The Fifth Season海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
【咦!】芝加哥还这样文明过 - 东部文明,还是西部? 【别人的‘美食’博客】 海归茶馆 2009-7-24 周五, 15:07
【Rent/buy ratio】买房好还是租房好的极简单的公式:买价-租价... 海归主坛 2009-10-21 周三, 07:24
【看别人的博客】东风夜放花千树 杭州-诺丁汉 会搬家的牛博士网的雷书榜*还... 行行摄摄 2009-3-27 周五, 11:08
【ZT 武汉七七的博客】 女主持人,迷失在蓝色天空里 海归酒吧 2006-7-01 周六, 16:32
[转帖]中国人应该感谢影子银行 【张化桥博客】 海归商务 2013-7-14 周日, 23:34
[转帖]从上海梅毒泛滥说起 【瑞冬 博客】 海归茶馆 2010-5-18 周二, 08:42
【别人的博客】温故知新沈崇案 与 浙大+富人+飙车+70码【俺的废话】“同... 海归茶馆 2009-9-11 周五, 07:16
【奉献给归坛厨师们的礼品】下一次赴约 大家不要忘了带一瓶罂粟籽油 【美食难忘】 生活风情 2009-6-19 周五, 12:38

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 The Fifth Season离线  发送站内短信
  • 【别人的‘美食’博客】东部文明,还是西部? - The Baltimore Sun > Dining@Large -- The Fifth Season - (14629 Byte) 2009-7-24 周五, 13:18 (2041 reads)
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.