海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: 美国新闻:Fire comes to Montecito, paradise for rich, famous
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 美国新闻:Fire comes to Montecito, paradise for rich, famous   
安普若
[博客]
[个人文集]

头衔: 海归元勋

头衔: 海归元勋
声望: 大师
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2004/02/21
文章: 26038
来自: 中国美国的飞机上
海归分: 4196257

文章标题: 美国新闻:Fire comes to Montecito, paradise for rich, famous (2835 reads)      时间: 2008-11-16 周日, 06:44   

作者:安普若海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

Fire comes to Montecito, paradise for rich, famous

By LYNN ELBER – 1 day ago

Montecito is home to the rich and famous, but not flashy. It's exclusive, but not haughty. And it's far enough from the sprawl of Los Angeles for comfort — while still close enough for convenience.

People who live in this coastal enclave tucked between the Pacific Ocean and the mountains call it a paradise, one that has long drawn old money and, in recent years, flush celebrities including Oprah Winfrey and Rob Lowe.

Residents extolled Montecito's charms Friday, even as the Santa Barbara community surrendered a swath of its multimillion-dollar homes to a brutal wildfire. Lowe and his family fled the approaching flames Thursday night, although their home had escaped damage as of midday Friday.

"It's very expensive, very dramatic. It's like the coast of Monte Carlo," with a perfect Mediterranean climate, said longtime real estate agent Bill Vaughan, who pegged the median value of homes — despite the ongoing slump in housing prices — at $2 million.

Lush stands of oak and eucalyptus trees give a wooded accent to Montecito, Vaughn noted, as well as increase the fire danger. About 10,000 people live in the unincorporated Santa Barbara County community, he said.

Families from the East Coast with industrial fortunes long ago discovered the area's charms, to be joined later by celebrities who found a pocket of luxury and seclusion not far from the Los Angeles-based entertainment industry.

Jeff Bridges, Ellen DeGeneres, John Cleese and Michael Douglas are among those who live in the area or once owned homes there. And Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and wife Maria Shriver have purchased a 25-acre tract for $4.7 million.

"If I were an autograph hound I'd have a nice thick book," said Debbie Ousey, owner of Tom's Montecito Coffee Shop. But when Lowe or comedian Jonathan Winters or other famous folk stop in, they can be sure they won't be pestered by fans, she said.

Montecito also has a sense of camaraderie and community spirit that belies its wealthy profile, she said.

"It's really pretty special. ... It's not snobby, wealthy people. Everybody supports everybody," Ousey said, adding that the town includes longtime residents who don't have big bank accounts or lavish homes.

But there can be tension engendered by the celebrity contingent, Vaughn said.

Winfrey's house is near the real estate agent's own home and "the paparazzi are just awful," Vaughn said, sounding annoyed as well about news reports focusing on the fire's effect on Montecito's celebrities and even their dogs.

Winfrey opened her show Friday with a report on the fire, which she said was about 2 miles from her home.

"All our prayers are with all the folks and neighbors in Santa Barbara. Hope you're well today," she said. "And those of you who lost your homes, our hearts go out to you."

Lowe gave a dramatic account of escaping the fire in a phone call to Oprah's show on Friday.

"My son and I were watching the football game and my wife, who was out running errands, called and said `Get out, the mountain's on fire,' and I thought she was kidding," Lowe said.

"I put the kids in the car, turned out of the driveway, and the entire mountain was on fire with flames shooting 200 feet in the air. "There was literally no warning. It came out of nowhere," he said.

作者:安普若海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
美国新闻:xi**2月14号访美国 会晤奥巴马拜登(转帖) 海归商务 2012-1-24 周二, 08:12
美国新闻:谎称自己是胡总书记的侄子 南加州重大投资欺诈案害惨华人(转帖) 海归商务 2011-11-03 周四, 02:15
美国新闻:美国高档名车拒售中国留学生(转帖) 海归商务 2011-11-02 周三, 07:07
美国新闻:强震也蠢动 洛城、西雅图恐大难临头(转帖,西海岸的兄弟们,快跑啊!) 春秋茶馆 2011-4-15 周五, 11:37
美国新闻:日本漆供应不继 黑福特车缺货了(转帖) 海归商务 2011-3-27 周日, 03:44
美国新闻:【华尔街日报】这些人为何会放弃美国国籍?(转帖) 海归商务 2011-3-23 周三, 13:04
美国新闻:报税注意了 美国税局为有海外账户者提供新的大赦机会(转帖) 海归商务 2011-2-09 周三, 15:55
美国新闻:LinkedIn公司将IPO(转帖) 海归商务 2011-1-28 周五, 15:28

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 安普若离线  发送站内短信 发送电子邮件 浏览发表者的主页 QQ号码什么是QQ号码? MSN
  • 美国新闻:Fire comes to Montecito, paradise for rich, famous -- 安普若 - (3511 Byte) 2008-11-16 周日, 06:44 (2835 reads)
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.